Retiring to Turkey, or for that matter deciding to spend your retirement anywhere abroad raises many questions BPS have sold many Turkish properties to Brits and Europeans that have decided to make the jump and retire to Turkey. Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions:
Can I claim my UK pension in Turkey?
Yes, UK citizens living in Turkey are still entitled to receive their state pension. Before your move to Turkey you need to speak to the UK department for Working, Jobs and Pensions and make them aware of your intentions. Do however keep in mind that, although you will be residing in Turkey, normal government cost of living with adjustments may still be applied.
How do I claim my UK state pension whilst living in Turkey?
Four months prior to reaching retirement age you can contact the International Pension Centre in the UK and discuss your wish to retire to Turkey and claim your state pension from Turkey. Please see the following address and links for up to date information and procedures:
UK Address for Enquiries: International Pension Centre, The Pension Service 11, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 1LW. Tel: +44 (0)191 218 7777 (Mon-Fri 8am to 6pm)
Best website for information: https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad
I’m over 65, do I need Turkish health insurance to apply for residency in Turkey?
At present, it is not compulsory for those over the age of 65 to take out Turkish health insurance, or join the SGK system, in order to apply for short term residency. The residency laws are changing so this may not be the case for very long.
Is it cheaper to live in Turkey than the UK?
Generally yes, the cost of living in Turkey, especially along the coast, is still far cheaper than the UK. Rises in inflation have pushed prices up over the past few years, but daily living expenses, groceries, utilities and Turkish property prices are still low in comparison. Your pension will stretch far further in Turkey! It is worth keeping in mind though that Istanbul, like London, can be pricey.
Do I need to make a Turkish will?
Inheritance laws in Turkey are different to the UK. We at Oceanwide Properties advise our clients with Turkish properties to have a Turkish will drawn up to avoid any complications should anything unforeseen happen. Under Turkish inheritance law, a spouse is only entitled to receive 25% of the estate, the children receive an equal share of the remaining 75%. A UK will should be accepted in Turkey, but organising it’s acceptance can be a lengthy (and costly) process therefore it is far better to have a Turkish will in place.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook!